Sunday, May 1, 2011

How I "Dood it": Cork Balls

I saw the original version of these two weeks ago while in the city with my BFF.

I cannot remember the window I saw them in, but store windows are a great source of inspiration to me.  I think it has to do with my first Macy's window experience.  My uncles had come from Alma, MI to visit T and I once me moved to IL.  It was my first trip into downtown Chicago.  My first Metra ride (I'm an expert now) and the first time I saw a Macy's Christmas window.

Heaven.

The second I saw these cork balls in the window of the store I knew I had to make them.

(I now kick myself for not taking a picture!!!)

Last Thursday I made a last minute decision to thrift after work and hit the cork jackpot.

Whoever decided to donate their wine cork collection to Charity I thank you!


We start with plain white foam balls.  Note, PAINT THEM FIRST or you WILL be sitting in your basement watching TV with the teeny-tiniest paintbrush painting tiny splotches of white showing between the corks.


Paint away.


Maybe draw a smilie face


Now it's all about tons of hot glue and patience


Sometimes you need to kind of trim them to fit into a smaller space.


I did the center line of each ball, then proceded to fill in the rest, then flipped it over and did the same on the back.



Here we have two completed balls, in two different sizes... it's all about how big your initial ball is.

I think these will eventually be suspended in my entryway... once I figure out how to hang them, these bad boys got heavy!

If you have a ton (seriously I used a way more than I anticipated, really glad I bought all three bags they had for sale at the thrift store) of corks hanging around this is a great project.

23 comments:

  1. Oh, these are too cool! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm going to keep my eyes open for a bag of corks for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mounting line would probably work best prior to gluing as well. (a late suggestion I know! LOL!)

    I do LOVE them though! One more idea to put in my 'cool decorations for the house' box :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so neat! Thanks for sharing them at Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! And, I LOVE your smily face....totally something I would do just to amuse myself.

    Have a good one!

    Cara

    http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the best idea for wine corks I've ever seen! Would love for you to drop by the Tuesday To Do party and share them!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-to-do-8-and-7-list-makers.html
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are THE coolest things I've ever seen!!!! Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday! :)
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Been looking for ideas for my growing cork collection. Definetly adding this project to my inspiration folder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, that flippin' rocks! i keep trying to hit the cork jackpot at goodwill, but it isn't happening for me. these are awesome, and if i ever hit the cork jackpot, these bad boys are now on my list! you rocked these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Those are great. I just saw styrofoam balls and corks next to eachother the other day at Michael's and I never would have thought to do this. Pretty cool! I saw you at What ALlie's Making Now blog hop. I'm your newest follower. You should come and link up at my blog hop, too: http://www.meldreamsoften.com/2011/05/fancy-friday-blog-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous idea. I have a giant vase full of corks...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been saving corks for several months without really knowing why. I think this project is the answer. I'll need to save more, but I'm looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great. Thanks for the tut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea! Love it!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see more of your creative ideas next week!
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a bag of corks that literally weighs about 40 pounds. This is a really fun idea. I'm popping in from Feature Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! These are amazing! I totally need to save this idea for the future~

    xoxo
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So cool. Thinks for the great idea! This will be a great way to use some of the corks we have left. Following you now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if you could use a little metal thing that looks like a screw on one end and a circle on the other end (that's the technical name that you'll find them under at the hardware store). Do you know what I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job!!!

    greetz from germany

    ReplyDelete
  19. PJ, I loved these so much I had to make them! See the way mine turned out here: http://unleashingmycreativity.blogspot.com/2011/06/cork-ball-decoration.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! I am going to give these a try. I think I will just sit mine on my coffee table, though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it. I have a tone of these things. My sister works at a wine tasting place and gives me them in bulk. I will try this!!!
    Saw you at T&I

    ReplyDelete

Comments = smiles.... smiles are the best