Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WNWNW:No Sew Fleece {Jellyfish} Scarf

OK, couple quick things.
 
First of all I'm a little impressed with myself for sticking with this.
 
I always have grand ideas for blog series but I almost never follow through. 
 
Story of my life!
 
Second.  I seriously have been making a huge effort to take better pictures for the blog.
 
This week was kind of a fail.  I could not get a decent picture of myself in this beauty, so you'll just have to believe me when I tell you I rock it!  LOL
 
 
WNWNW was born of a real need to use up some of my ridiculous stash!
 
Each week I attempt to create something using only supplies I already have on hand.
 
No last minute runs to heaven JoAnn Fabrics.
 
Since it's SO FARKING COLD!!! here in NW PA this week I busted out a new scarf.
 
 
Fleece is one of those things I can almost never just leave in the remnant bin if I see it hanging out.
 
 
It's so easy to cut it up and make a quick and colorful (and cheap!) scarf
 
It's also kind of boring and predictable.
 
I saw a great scarf that utilized a thrifted tshirt upcycle, but thought it could be done with fleece too, so I tried.
 
 
Totally works!
 
Anyone else think it looks just a leetle like a Jellyfish?
 
I do!
 
So without further ado, here's how to make your own Jellyfish Scarf.
 
 
See, I told you anytime I need to cut a circle I use a plate!
 
I just traced around the plate with a light marker and then cut JUST inside the line!

 
Once you cut a nice stash (at least 8 circles, I got over twice that out of my yard of material) cut into the circle in a spiral pattern.

 
Then stretch it out, as it bounces back up you get the curly wavy pattern

 
These two "tentacles" are cut from the same diameter circle, but for the shorty on the left I cut at about 2 1/2 inches and for the long one on the right I kept it at about 1 inch.

 
Here is my circle stash vs. the teensy bits of scrap left over...

 
I split my "tentacles" up into two stacks and turned the centers to face each other.

 
Laying a fun button on top of the whole bunch after stacking them on top of each other I secured it with a needle and thread.

 
I love how thick it is around the neck because that's a scarf's job, to keep my neck warm!

 
Some bloggers get to model their cute stuff on cute kids, here I model cute stuff on puppies cranky from being woke up to have fluff put about their necks!!!

 
Oh, and look what I found when I opened up my button box to find the buttons I stole from the clearance rack at JoAnns a few months ago.
 
 
 


 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Love your jellyfish scarf! I never thought of doing one with fleece. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is awesome! I love the fleece to begin with, but this is so different than a regular rectangular scarf, so fun!!!! I want to make some of these and give them as Christmas gifts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I love your model too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! I'm in MN where scarf season is coming very soon... will need to go fleece and fun button shopping soon. How do you get your model to sit still?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, you found the pins! That scarf is super adorable, especially on the little puppy :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that thing. Everything about it. The pattern on the fleece, the jellyfish likeness and the fact that it makes grumpy pups look amazing.
    This scarf is something I'll be sure to try and make myself. It's getting really cold around here, too, and I want something special to spruce up my usual black on black with more black outfit. My dusty pink knit scarf is getting boring, and I saw that immensely cute zebra fleece on ebay a while back... got the perfect button, too, featuring a rampant lion. Roar. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your scarf! That is a fabulous idea, and it looks great. This would make great gifts. Thanks you so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent. Have a wonderful week.
    Love the cute model, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when I didn't think it could get any cuter, you go and call it a jellyfish scarf! I love it! And I have been noticing my craft stash getting more out of control by the minute, and thinking I should really try using it up before buying new crap. So far, I've been unsuccessful. So I should really follow your lead! Thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this scarf! Your fabric is so cute. I really love the picture of your model wearing it!! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Artsy Corner, I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks easy to make, and it is super cute. I might try this. I need a new scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what diameter of plate did u use? how do u secure it around ur neck in front?

    ReplyDelete

Comments = smiles.... smiles are the best