Friday, November 16, 2012

Mission Organization - Fabric Situation

So I'm on a mission to make the worlds smallest apartment not only cute but ORGANIZED!
 
It's true, it's harder to keep a small space clean than a large house.
 
Do you remember my post about my fabric situation.
 
Well, today I did some work to fix that situation.  At least the organization portion, I still have too much!
 
 
Here is the after.
 
So much better than the before.
 
 
All it took was some foamcore board.
 
I got mine at the Dollar Tree.
 
 
Each piece is 10x6.
 
I also perfected cutting foam board in this project.
 
 
My pampered chef paring knife sliced it perfectly.
 
 
I then simply folded it on the cut and slid the knife through that fold to open the second side of paper.
 
Perfect cuts everytime!
 
 
Then each fabric was folded in thirds lengthwise and wrapped around the boards.
 
SOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
 
 
 
 
How do you handle all your fabric?
 
 


 
 
Party Time! Thrifty 101Practically Functional, The Shabby Creek Cottage, The Crafty Blog Stalker, House of Hepworths, Liz Marie Blog, Just Us Four, Sew Many Ways, Life On Lakeshore Drive, Nifty Thrifty Things, I should be mopping the floor, Craft-O-Maniac, A Diamond In The Stuff, Not JUST A Housewife, The Little Giggler, Sugar Bee Crafts, The Blackberry Vine, Kammys Korner, Homemade Ginger, Krafty Kat, Homespun Happenings, Life In A Break Down, C.R.A.F.T.

23 comments:

  1. Looks great!! Nice work :)I don't sew so I don't have any fabric...but I can assure you that none of my crafting supplies are as organized as yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And am more than a little jealous. Mine?? Crammed in a 3 drawer cabinet. Nice job! I'd say your mission is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Found you at FFAF! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea, wish I had the motivation to organize my fabric its just folded on a shelf in the sewing room

    Robin in Wasington State
    assweetaspeaches hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, awesome! Mine was just folded up in the plastic bag it came in from Joann's. Then I finally decided to organize it, so I folded it around hanging file folders and hung them in an old file box I wasn't using. Works pretty well!

      (Stupid google signed me in as the wrong gmail account...*sigh*)

      Delete
  6. Mine is similar. I use comic book boards which are a lot flimsier, but thinner-so I can fit more fabric. Only problem is, I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! My fabric is totally unorganized in a bin under my desk. I have no idea what I have. This is seriously fabulous.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow brillant and pratical idea!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
    Happy weekend !

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea. I have too much fabric (but I'm working on paring it down) and use a variety of methods for storing - some work better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple yet so efficient!! I love this idea. I know how i'll be storing my fabrics when the time comes. :)

    Your latest follower, Lauren x
    http://in-our-private-universe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great and you're right... so much neater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! I have been looking for a way to organize my fabric and this is perfect. I have it all in tubs right now and can't ever find what I'm looking for! Thanks for the fantastic idea, and for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you do not want to know how I handle
    my fabric..lol
    But I do try to keep it all folded
    in a plastic bin.. nothing like your
    great idea...
    Thanks for sharing
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic idea, mines in draws and cardboard boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I organize my fabric in a similar way. Gotta love that Dollar Tree foam core! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I'm looking for a way to keep all my fabric organized. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing fabric organized on boards. I think it looks so neat and pretty! I don't have space to store it like this unless I build some shelves or something (not sure yet). Right now all my fabric is in rubbermaid totes. It doesn't really work well at all to know what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so lovely on the shelf! My stash is shoved in a drawer :( Just might have to use the holiday weekend to get organized now :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tip! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great, many years ago I organized all of my fabric, **hangs head in shame** I don't want to tell you how much I had them and have added much more without using much of what I had.
    I found on the net about using "comic book boards" to make mini bolts, you only fold once more in half lengthwise and "bolt" the fabric, the comic book boards are less than $10 for 100 boards and are acid free. You just have to visit the "geek" store, lol. I used over 200 boards the first time, and have more that needs to be boarded......
    My mother even did this to her fabrics and I have friends that have done it also, we boarded anything a yard. Next time grab some comic book boards you wont have to cut them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! I love the transformation... and it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments = smiles.... smiles are the best